Worried about a child

If you are worried about a child or young person in Milton Keynes please contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01908 253169/253170 for advice or to make a referral, 9am – 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am – 4.30pm Friday. The out of hours Emergency Social Work team can be contacted on 01908 265545.


If you are concerned a child is at immediate risk of harm please call Thames Valley Police on 999.  If you require advice from Thames Valley police or to report a crime, please dial 101.


The NSPCC provides advice for parents and carers if you suspect abuse but you are not sure your right:

“If you’re in a situation where you suspect abuse of a child but they haven’t actually said anything to you, there are a number of steps you can take.

  • Continue to talk to the child
  • Most children who are being abused find it very difficult to talk about it. By having ongoing conversations, the time may come when they’re ready to talk
  • Keep a diary
  • This is a good way to keep a note of your concerns and the way your child is behaving. It can also help to spot patterns of behaviour.
  • Talk to your child’s teacher or health visitor
  • The professionals who come into contact with your child may also have noticed your child acting unusually
  • Get someone else’s perspective
  • Talk about your worries with a trusted friend or family member or with an NSPCC helpline counsellor. Ask what they think about your concerns.
  • Report your worries
  • You can also report your worries to our helpline on 0808 800 5000. You don’t have to give your name if you’d prefer to remain anonymous.

If you suspect that someone is abusing a child, it may not be something you want to consider – especially if they’re a friend or family – and your initial reaction may be to dismiss it or try to prove it’s not true.

It’s important to recognise that children value being believed and, as the adult they have chosen to tell, it’s vital that you act on what you’ve been told. “

Our Members